Saturday, July 23, 2011

Honeymoon revelations

...or "things I learned after I bought it".

I knew from the seller's description that the handlebars and exhaust were non-stock, that the fork seals leaked, and that the dust boots were perished. When I test-drove it, I saw the surface rust on the chrome and some mild to moderate rust on the frame and headers. The horn & the right rear indicator wasn't working, and the RHS side cover was missing.
Everything lathered in WD40

Side cover removed.
On the maiden voyage home, I noticed a mechanical whine coming from the front. It wasn't related to engine speed and didn't change when I applied the brakes, so I figured wheel bearing. Strangely, I did not notice it at all during the test ride. Read up on it, and am now pretty sure it's the speedometer (or its cable) that's desperately in need of some lithium grease. Bit of a bitch to get the housing open, but I want to change the dial faces anyway, so it goes on the to do list.

The bars appear to be clubmans that have been mounted upside down.

The dings on the tank may provide the reason for that!
The rear wheel has a moderate amount of rust, especially on the spokes. The front may be livable, at least for a while.



The battery wasn't strong enough to turn it over. I topped it up and put it on charge. My Optimate charger tested green after about 30 hours... will see how it holds up.

No comments:

Post a Comment