Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Roadworthy, Take One

I took it to a testing center for a first attempt on Saturday. Didn't expect it to pass, but thought I'd get a To-Do list out of it anyway. Shocker is, they only give you 14 days to correct it... I thought it was 6 weeks!

Here's the list:
  • Leaking forks
  • No chain guard (I removed it for cleaning)
  • Hand grips loose 
  • Accelerator not returning
  • Hand grips too low
  • Chain needs adjustment
The tester also told me I had to "put all the fairings back on, a child might come and burn their hands on these exhaust pipes" (sic). He obviously had it confused with a Gold Wing or something, but relented when I told him he's looking at the original configuration, and I'm sure the missing side panel (battery cover) won't provide much protection. I could tell he was one of those guys that really enjoyed having some authority bestowed on him... probably gets beaten up by the wife at home.

I should've waited before turning the Clubmans back around... have just created unnecessary work with the grips. They're apparently "lower than the seat" (bullshit), and my quick glue-job the night before didn't hold up. Accelerator tube is also sticking. Got some new el-cheapo grips from Wicked Cycles (along with EMGO fork boots which may be too small). Might just swap the bars back around just to get it sorted quickly while I focus on the real issue: fork rebuild. 

But that's another post... in the mean time, some riveting pictures of the battery box: 

After some sanding
CoastCote etch primer


No comments:

Post a Comment